Saint Francis of Assisi College – History
Saint Francis of Assisi College had its beginnings in 1981, when the husband and wife team of Dr. Evangeline Oñas-Orosco and Dr. Arturo Agapito Orosco, Sr., opened a two classroom preparatory school in Taln III, Las Piñas city to provide affordable quality edu ation for young children. By 1983, the school’s popularity was such that a two-storey, full elementary school building had to be constructed to meet the surrounding community needs. The opening of the high school department quickly followed in 1986, assuring placements for SFAC graduates in the secondary level. At the same time, two new campuses were established, one in Taguig City, and one in Los Baños, Laguna.
In 1989, the teriary level in SFAC came into being offering several courses both in degree and non-degree programs. New campuses have since been added: The Pamplona, Las Piñas campus in 1990, the Bacoor, Cavite campus in 1994, the Alabang, Munitinlupa campus in 1996. In the same year 1996, Saint Anthony School of Las Piñas came under SFAC supervision and management. Dasmariñas, Cavite campus opened n 1999. The Biñan campus in Laguna opened in 2006. In 2010, the Los Baños campus was renamed Saint Anthony School of Los Baños, named after the patron saint of the locality. The 10th campus, located in Sta. Rosa, Laguna now accepts enrollees starting S.Y. 2012-2013. In line with corporate branding moves, the Pamplona campus, being the smallest campus, moved ins operation to the main campus in 2014.
Dr. Arturo O. Orosco, Jr., succeeding his mother as school president in 2012, steered the school system into a brand where Bayanihan spirit cultivates the deep heritage of the school. Well-calculated moves and decisions and continuously being made to meet the new leadership’s branding innovations to meet the founders’ objective of serving more communities, and societies, at large.
Today the Saint Francis of Assisi College offers complete education from pre-school up the graduate level of education.
The Life of Saint Francis of Assisi
Saint Francis of Assisi, founder of the Franciscan Order, was born in Assisi, in the 12th century. Francis was the eldest son of a prosperous cloth merchant. He was named John at baptism but earlier acquired the name Francesco, the “Frenchman”. Francis was a high-spirited youth, who delighted in the fellowship of revelry and the romance of chivalry.
In 1205, moved by a desire to achieve military glory, Francis joined the army at Walter of Briene, who was then fighting on the Pope's behalf in Apulla. The would-be warrior never reached the front. He become ill at Spoleto where in a dream, a voice asked him, "why do you desert the Lord for his vassal?" This was the first progress of Francis' conversion. One day in 1207, while he was praying in the crumbling church of Dan Damiano near Assisi, the voice spoke to him again: "Francis, repair my house", he interpreted this statement as a positive command to rebuild the dilapidated building in which he knelt. To raise money for his project, he took several bails of cloth from his father's shop and sold them. When his irate parent had him brought before the bishop's court to recover the stolen property, Francis made a dramatic gesture of abandonment to providence. He gave back his father not only the money received for the cloth but even the very clothing he was wearing.
After his inheritance, Francis continued repairing neglected churches. He also served the inmates of lepers' hospitals and spent long period in solitary prayer. It is unlikely that Francis deliberately set out to find a religious order, but the unaffected candor of his preaching, the warmth of his personality, and his joyous asceticism drew men to him. By 1209, his followers numbered 11, lived as itinerant preachers, slept in abandoned churches and leper houses, and possessed no wealth except that obtained from honest labor. They felt little need for a rule in the sense of a conscious legal contract. The "Form of Life" that Francis drew up for them in 1209 was the statement of an ordeal rather than a rule in traditional sense. After some hesitation, Innocent III gave verbal approbations to Francis "Form of Life" on April 16, 1209 (or 1210). Sometime later, Francis was ordained a deacon, but never became a priest.
In 1220, the Friars Minor numbered more than 5,000. This phenomenal growth necessitated a more structured organization of brotherhood. In 1221, Francis resigned from the administration of the order into the hands of a vicar. He was keenly aware of his inadequacies as an executive. His wealth was gone and he was almost blind. He spent his last years at remote hermitages in the company of his early companions.
On October 3, 1226, he died at the Portiuncula, a small chapel near Assisi. After his death, Brother Elias, the Superior General, announced to the order at La Verna (Alverno) on September 12, 1224, that Francis had received the stigmata or the wounds of Christ, on his body.